Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Catching up and Western States 100

Well it's obvious by now that I have been AWOL for quite some time. The out pouring of emails, text messages, facebook comments and letters (yes old school letters) have been too much to handle. So I am back with a post. Frankly, I really don't ever have too much to write about. I work, I am a father, I am a husband, I am an ass (wait- that's a whole nother blog) and yes I run. Perspective have reared its ugly head lately and I am figuring out where I fit in with running or where running fits in with me. I would love to run 5-6 days a week, I really would. I just can't find the time. Maybe it's a cop out but I really would like to run more. Not necessarily to do better in races but to just be able to run more consistently without nagging issues and a better recovery. I love to hit the trails and explore.I enjoy running solo but I also really enjoy running with all my trail buddies. So I find myself in a great situation. So I am going to try a little something new, even if only for awhile. I am going to try and post regularly even if it is just a line or 2. Besides what I listed above I am very fortunate to be a Race Director of the Northern Utah Trail Series or N.U.T.S. and I am the Team Director for the Pearl Izumi Ultra Running Team. Both of those take a lot more time than I imagined but both are very rewarding. So in not so short- look forward to more posts.....both of you. Now onto Western States...............
Western States in dubbed the "Super Bowl" of Ultra Running. I say- to each his own. Why the race does draw amazing talent and is set in some beautiful country after being there, it's not for me. Too many people and too much hype. Again I say- to each his own. I can see though why people do follow it and fall in love with it. It is a magnificent event. Hell if I paid almost $400 for something I better as hell like it and that doesn't count expenses. Like I say- to each his own. Okay- off my soap box.
I had the pleasure and privilege of staying with some truly inspiring and amazing people while I was at Western. I got to rub elbows with some of the best trail runners in the WORLD- not to mention they are better people than they are runners....sorry but you are. There were PI team members, new friends, their families and existing friends. Let's just say that over the past weekend, I really felt truly blessed! Yes blessed. I have so many quality people around me that I just hope it rubs off one day.
I witnessed some truly amazing things from truly amazing people. Whether it was Nick Clark busting out a 3rd place finish or Timothy Olson killing it in his 2nd 100 ever for 6th place or Scott Jaime showing why he will always be one of the greatest people I will ever know or Jim Skaggs nailing the first of his 4 100- milers for the Grand Slam or the beautiful friends and family that travel from all over to support them. What I got to be apart of was very inspiring and jaw dropping. I met new friends with Nick, Bobby, Jake and Cassie. Thank you to everyone who made the weekend beautiful and help make this world a better place.
Now, I need to go run because I do have some goals of my own......just gotta remember who I am

3 comments:

BobbyKnight said...

I have been waiting, but I haven't seen the W2 Form in the mail yet. Looking forward to working for you, and let me know if you need help planning the Christmas Party or help at any other PI races.

Unknown said...

Good seeing you A-ric! Although we really didn't get much of a chance to catch up. So what I'm thinking is that you should purchase your ticket to Geneva so that we can properly catch up. Don't we usually do epic trips together? Thanks for coming out supporting the team (and Jim). It

Krista Olson said...

It was great meeting you at Western States - Timothy's in good hand with you guys at Pearl Izumi. Enjoy the trails!