Pages

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Dirt is good... (9.65 miles)

It FINALLY happened. I actually ran on a trail in the mountains. It has been so long. I got invited to go on a run with Jamie, Tom, Ron and their 3 dogs. I knew I had to get out on the trails to really test the Achilles and see what it could do. Buffalo Run is only a week away and since I will not be gunning for my PR, I had to make sure I could at least do it.
We set out from the Ogden Nature Center trail head and headed south. It was tough to keep my pace down at some points since the adrenaline was jolting through my body but I managed. The weather was upper 60's to low 70's and I could smell dirt, tree and sweat. I WAS BACK! I probably focused too much on my Achilles and not enough on the fact I was running- really running! No treadmill, no TV, no distractions. Just single track, sun, dirt and good friends.
We totalled 9.65 miles and I was stoked. I never felt any "sharp" pains and the discomfort was pretty minimal even during the inclines. The run was a success but now I need to see how tomorrow goes. I plan on getting about 10 more in on Sunday but word on the street is that the weather is gonna be nasty. That's alright though as Mr. Bowerman says, "there is no such thing as bad weather, just soft people." Well I am done being soft.....

No comments: