Pages

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Hit me with your best shot!

What a night! The mountain and I are getting to know each other well. Just a day after the mountain smacked me in the face to make me realize it is far superior, I came back and gave it a knuckle sandwich! Yes, I said knuckle sandwich. Beautiful evening run with amazing views. The sun was setting and the air was fresh. I made sure I wore my PI Seeks to avoid anymore acupuncture or water breaking episodes.
This running gig sure does provide me with a sweet balance in life. All my short comings as a husband, father, friend and employee seem to even out a bit when I can go and get some perspective. There is nothing more humbling than the outdoors. Everywhere you look you see things that amaze. What I like most of my BST run is sitting at the top of the waterfall. You look down and see so many people stop and admire it and take photos which I have done many times. However, standing on top and looking down brings a whole new perspective.
Just like the quote goes, "It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves."
Previous posts, including this one, talk about the challenge of the climbs or miles or when the mountain kicks your a$$. But it wasn't the mountain yesterday, it was me. It was my attitude, it was my laziness, it was the uncertainty. Well today I cleared the negative and set out to show yesterday was a fluke. You get that in life or in races. Stay the course, don't think about the knockdowns- think about getting up and saying "you can hit me again but I am too strong, I will get back up, again and again."
Remember....No Excuses, No Regrets...Leave Nothing. Maybe that's more than a mantra for running........

No comments: